Monday, July 2, 2012

DAY TWO: Green Mango Shakes and People’s Park




A green mango shake has to be the most refreshing drink ever; it’s not as sweat as a yellow mango shake and hits the spot after you had to walk along the side of the busy highway and dodge stray dogs. 



Me and Julie in a pineapple! 
The green mango shake happened at the end of the day so I will start from the beginning of the day. The first breakfast of the trip stated with the best mangoes ever and so my day of mangoes started. After breakfast we were trying to figure out what to go and see on our first day in the Philippines. We wanted to go to Taal Volcano but had heard that it was a long hike and we didn't think we would have the time for it today. Instead we heard about Peoples Park which is a high point where you can see a good portion of the area such as the volcano and just the general green amazing-ness of the Philippines. We were lucky enough to get a van for the trip and headed into Tagaytay a little after lunch. Peoples Park was had great views and also some colorful peoples and souvenirs. There was a large pineapple made out of concrete or something at the top of Peoples Park and of course we had fun taking pictures in it. The view was perfect for seeing Taal Volcano and some of the group was a little disappointed that there wasn't smoke and lava pouring out of it, but it was still a beautiful site. I also found a purse made out of a real frog.... the mouth was a zipper... gross but cool at the same time. I really thought about getting one but the thought of wearing a frog on my shoulder and putting my hand in its mouth grossed me out a little. So the frog purse will no be coming home with me, unless I think my little sister might like it. = )


So I always knew that I was tall and blonde but it never really hit me how tall and blonde I am until I came to the Philippines. I was walking around with another girl in my group, Julie, who it also tall and blonde. We actually had a group of girls ask us to be in their pictures. Theses girls didn't even come up to my shoulder. I feel like a large blonde amazon here especially when everyone is staring. But in the end we had two sets of girls ask to take pictures with us and we had a friend trying to sell us for pictures.
Taal Volcano 


When we arrived back at IIRR rested and decided we wanted to try the mango shakes that everyone was talking about. We hopped on a bus and got off at the closest stop to the mango shake place. Then we had to walk a little way across stray dogs and along the highway to get to the place. Finally we got there and yes the mango shake was amazing and the place we had them at was so fun. Our group had its own little hut with mosquito netting around it to keep all the bugs out. I had the green mango shake and it was amazing, I will definitely be going back to get another one. Of course I day wouldn't be complete without it pouring on us and this happened right when we left to catch a bus back to IIRR. It was fine with me I love the rain but a few of the girls with me didn't really appreciate it. In the end it was a fun day I got to see a volcano, have a shake and walk in the rain. I can't wait to see what tomorrow has in store.





No comments:

Post a Comment